Give your time
It is said that time is one of your most valuable resources and you should spend it wisely. Have you ever thought about volunteering and giving that time to a worthy cause?
The Community Action Group is the driving force behind London Business School's community engagement programme. You are entitled to five days volunteering a year (at your manager's discretion) so why not use the new year to donate your time and feel good about giving back. Sign up to the discussion group on Portal where volunteering opportunities are advertised.
How does this tie in with Wellbeing Week at LBS?
UnitedHealth Group commissioned a national survey of 3,351 adults and found that the overwhelming majority of participants reported feeling mentally and physically healthier after a volunteer experience:
- 76% of people who volunteered in the last twelve months said that volunteering has made them feel healthier
- 94% of people who volunteered in the last twelve months said that volunteering improved their mood
- 78% of them said that volunteering lowered their stress levels
- 96% reported that volunteering enriched their sense of purpose in life
- 80% of them feel like they have control over their health
- Approximately a quarter of them reported that their volunteer work has helped them manage a chronic illness by keeping them active and taking their minds off of their own problems
- Volunteers have better personal scores than non-volunteers on nine well-established measures of emotional wellbeing including personal independence, capacity for rich interpersonal relationships and overall satisfaction with life.
- Volunteering improved their mood and self-esteem
What are you waiting for? Volunteer today!