What's on


Changes to employment regulations for students on Tier 4 visas

There are a number of key legislative requirements* that may impact you if you are on a Tier 4 (General) student visa and employed directly by the School  (please see paragraphs 282-286 of Tier 4 Guidance)

Tier 4 visas are issued with specific restrictions attached concerning the type of work you can do and number of hours you can work. You are only permitted to work 20 hours during term time, but you can work up to full-time during vacations. The legislation also stipulates that you may not be self-employed. 

As an employer, LBS has taken some steps to ensure that both the School and our students are not at risk of breaching any immigration laws. This may impact on you in two ways:

  1. We have introduced a standard timesheet for all casual workers at LBS to use – this includes but is not limited to Tier 4 students. This timesheet enables us to accurately track the hours worked by all our casual workers and, in the case of Tier 4 students, ensure that during term time no more than 20 hours per week are worked.
  2. All Tier 4 students must now be registered with the School as casual workers. Working as a freelancer will no longer be possible, as this is considered to be self-employment. Please ensure you are correctly set up as a casual worker in order to be able to be paid for any work carried out at the School.

Please note the following:

  • The timesheet is to be used by all staff and students who are to be paid for activities relating to grading, teaching and research support. This covers support to faculty on courses - teaching support, grading support, tutoring in seminars etc
  • Effective from 1 August 2016
  • To be sent to timesheets@london.edu
  • Payroll will not process any payments for these activities without a properly approved timesheet.   

The timesheet itself:

  • Is available on portal - > Portal > Operations > Accounts  > Payroll 
  • Contains instructions, but if you have any queries or issues relating to the timesheet please contact either Helen Oakley or Ross James in the first instance
If you have any visa specific questions, please contact visas@london.edu.