Name: Paolo Surico
Position and department: Professor of Economics
1. You are a Professor of Economics. Can you tell us a little bit about your research?
Understanding how private debt impairs or amplifies the effects of interest rate changes and tax rate changes on the consumption of households and investment of firms.
2. What does your typical work day look like?
Brainstorming with collaborators in the morning, running regressions in the afternoon, writing the paper in the evening and submitting to a journal at night. Theory only during meals.
3. Where is your favourite place on campus and why?
The garden between sainsbury and Regent's Park. It's so quiet you can brainstorm with colleagues and you can also use for lecturing (great for early morning classes in the summer)
4. What is top of your bucket list?
Opening a bed & breakfast in the south of Italy
5.? Who would play you in the film of your life?
6. Who would you invite to your dream dinner party?
My wife and (for once) nobody else!! And the party should last at least one week.
7. What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
Never miss the opportunity to enjoy each single minute of it!
8. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
9. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
"Always be with people who are better than you. It's where you learn more. It's where you have more fun" (my grandmother)
10. Tell us something surprising about you.
I don't talk to my mum every single day. Only every second!