Governing Body Update
I wanted to provide a brief update on the latest Governing Body meeting. It was my first in post as the newly elected staff representative- so I wanted to also just say a big thank you to all involved in the elections and to Annie Schouw, the outgoing rep for her term and handover.
The group meets every quarter and composition of the group includes the Dean and Deputy Deans, Faculty representatives, Chair of the Alumni Council, Senior External Business professionals from a range of different sectors and is Chaired by The Hon Apurv Bhagri. The full member profiles and the remit of the Governing Body can be found here.
An overview on the topics covered on the May agenda;
- Report from the Dean- François provided high level school updates on Leadership changes, programme and ranking highlights, faculty research grants, focus on Inclusion and Diversity, Alumni reunion and Sammy Ofer Centre being shortlisted for Architects Journal Building of the Year award.
- Faculty and research update – Madan Pillutla (Deputy Dean of Faculty) discussed updates on key recruitment, retention and diversity plans relating to faculty and their research output. Competition is always high for the best faculty in the market place (as with staff and students) and so the school continues to look at how best to attract them.
- Digital learning at the school – Julian Birkinshaw (Deputy Dean, Executive Education & Digital Learning) provided a report on plans for the deployment of digital technology within our Degree and Exec Ed portfolios to support learning both in regards to content (such as new electives) and delivery (such as ‘blended’ formats). It was very encouraging to see how much focus and support there is for us to move us forward in this area.
- 2017 Health and Safety report- Update and sign off.
- HEFCE Annual Assessment of institutional Risk- Update and sign off.
- Student Association accounts of the financial year 16/17- Update and sign off.
- Audit/Finance/Governance and Nominations/Remuneration committee updates - Update and sign off.
- Management Board meeting updates- Update and sign off.
Throughout the meeting, there was continued interesting discussion around Inclusion and Diversity -from our recruitment, curriculum to how we create a positive environment for people to express their views and experiences. Given that it is a base for our 3 areas of focus- Elevating the Brand, Harnessing the Power of Digital and Increasing our relevance Globally (if you attended the school meeting, you will have heard the introduction from Hamid Senni, the new Director of Inclusion and Diversity) – we can expect this to be an ongoing key discussion at these meetings and so I encourage everyone to be part of the plans on how we can progress in this space through the various channels/committees/groups we have within the school.
There will be further comms once the formal minutes have been made available on portal, but I hope this gives you a sense of topics covered at the Governing Body. The next meeting is in July and I will be sure to provide an update following this.
Do feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.